Access Your Physiotherapist With Telehealth Technology
Accessing essential health services, such as physiotherapy, might not always be convenient or possible. Maybe your favourite physiotherapist works in a different state or country to you, or maybe you have found it wasn’t convenient or possible to attend an appointment at the time or location you wanted. This is why Revive Physiotherapy and Pilates now proudly offers online physiotherapy services to all of our clients, both in Melbourne and around Australia, without having to leave the comfort of your home or workplace.
Online physiotherapy consultations are an easy and effective way to meet with an expert physiotherapist to get solutions for your injury without having to leave the comfort of home or work. Our physiotherapists are on hand to help give you clarity and solutions for your injury, get you out of pain, and work with you to create a plan to get you back to those things you love doing as quickly as possible.
Our online physiotherapy consultations will put you in control of your pain or injury and fast-track you towards amazing results. Extensive research supports online physiotherapy consultations as an effective alternative to face-to-face consultations and is quickly becoming a desired way to access expert health advice.
We understand that physiotherapy via the internet may seem a little strange at first. But we also understand that the main reason you visit a physiotherapist isn’t necessarily because you are in pain, it’s because that pain is preventing you from doing something important or necessary in your life. A commonly held belief about physiotherapy is that you need hands-on treatment from your physiotherapist in order to feel better. We recognise that you won’t be receiving hands-on treatment for your injury, but we now have extensive research which shows that active rehabilitation (exercise therapy) is able to achieve the exact same result, without us putting a hand on you, and is the most effective tool to ensure you move better and are pain free in the long term.
Who is this online physiotherapy service ideal for?
Online physiotherapy consults are ideal for people who:
- Would like to save time, avoid dealing with traffic and have the convenience of expert healthcare in their own home
- Are unable to attend the clinic location due to extenuating circumstances
- Would like access to the best physiotherapists who may not be available in the area they live
- Don’t like the physical touch involved in an in-person session
- Have restrictions, such as injury or disability, which prevent them from travelling
- Have been given a diagnosis, but would like an expert second opinion
- Live overseas or in a rural or remote area
What does an online physiotherapy consultation look like?
We empathise that being in pain be a confusing and frustrating experience, which is often made worse by all of the conflicting information that can be found on the internet. We aim to simplify the process from start to finish so you will feel comfortable from day one knowing you are in good hands. Our online physiotherapy consultations will empower you to take control of your pain or injury, and to achieve amazing results. You may be surprised by just how effective online consultations can be.
An online physiotherapy consultation at Revive Physiotherapy and Pilates is very similar to a regular face to face physiotherapy consultation. Your physiotherapist will:
- Listen to your story, understand you, your injury and how it impacts your life
- Provide a thorough examination through the video call, in which you will be asked to perform a variety of movements and asked some questions
- Provide clarity of your injury (likely diagnosis), education and advice, why your injury has occurred and how it will heal
- Provide appropriate treatment, advice and rehab exercises to provide symptom relief and long term improvements
- Tailor an individualised management plan that you can follow in order to immediately start working towards your goals and become pain and injury free
Once on the video consultation our Physiotherapist will find out and help to give you clarity on:
- Your goals (what is the meaningful change you are looking for)
- What’s wrong (the likely diagnosis)
- Why it is there (education of the root cause of your issue)
- An individualised plan to achieve your goals
We will then provide the treatment, advice, education and rehabilitation exercises needed to get you out of pain and back to what you love doing as fast as possible.
How does it work?
Your private and individual sessions are conducted using either the Telehealth function in our practice management software, Cliniko, or Zoom secure technology. Sessions are performed using a video call, similar to if you have contacted friends or family via WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. You will be provided with a link and details to easily set up the video call.
We ask that you are in a quiet place with enough room to do some basic movements and exercise, and are wearing clothes that allow you to perform this as you would normally at your physio session.
What types of injuries are appropriate for an online physiotherapy consultation?
We have successfully treated people with conditions such as:
- Knee pain – arthritis, tendon pain, bursitis and post surgical rehab
- Shoulder pain – bursitis, rotator cuff tears, impingement and post surgical rehab
- Lower back pain – disc bulges, muscle spasm and sciatic nerve issues
- Neck pain – disc herniation, cervical spondylosis, cervical pain, whiplash associated disorder
- Ankle pain – ankle sprains, post fracture or surgical rehab, achilles tendinopathies
- Foot pain – plantar fasciitis
- Elbow pain – tennis elbow, golfers elbow, nerve injuries, post fracture rehab
- Hip pain – hip bursitis (trochanteric bursitis), hip flexor pain and hip arthritis
- Chronic pain
- Muscle weakness
- Pregnancy related pain
- Post natal care and advice
We are have also treated a range of paediatric conditions such as:
- Delayed motor milestones and developmental delay
- Toe walking
- Issues with co-ordination, clumsiness or falls
- Sports injuries and musculoskeletal pain
- Rehabilitation after orthopaedic surgery
- Diagnosed conditions such as Cerebral Palsy, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down’s Syndrome
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I claim on private health insurance?
Unfortunately at this time you can’t claim your online consults on your private health, however this may change in the very near future as insurance companies are currently exploring options to help customers access allied health services via online consultations. The Australian Physiotherapy Association has released the following statement regarding health insurers:
“There is growing consumer demand for access to video-consultation services provided by physiotherapists. Despite evidence to suggest that video consultations are cost effective, safe and well-received by consumers, private health insurers do not provide a rebate for physiotherapy services delivered via video consultation. This exacerbates existing access issues for many consumers, including those who live in rural and remote locations and those with significant mobility issues, eg, consumers with neurological conditions who have limited capacity to travel.”
“The APA has been in discussions with Private Healthcare Australia—the private health insurance industry’s peak representative body—to advocate for rebates for video consultations by physiotherapists. These discussions are ongoing.”
If you would like to learn more you can visit the Australian Physiotherapy Association website here.
For more specific information related to your individual health fund, please contact your health insurance provider to inquire about claiming for “Telehealth” or online consultations.
How much does a session cost?
An online physiotherapy consultation at Revive Physio is $80 for a 45-minute initial and $65 for a 30 minute subsequent appointment.
How do we communicate online?
Sessions are conducted using either the Telehealth function in our practice management software, Cliniko, or Zoom secure technology on your computer or tablet.
How can a physiotherapist treat me online?
You may be wondering how online physiotherapy services actually work, because the general perception of what a physiotherapist does is hands-on manual therapy work with you, the patient, on the bed. We recognise that you won’t be receiving hands-on treatment for your injury, but if this was still at the core of our role as physiotherapists then you would be absolutely correct, however there is now a large body of evidence to show that active rehabilitation (exercise therapy) is the most effective tool to ensure you become empowered to be pain free long term and research has also shown that the exact same results can be achieved without hands-on treatment; exercise is medicine.
How do I pay for my online physiotherapy consultation?
We require payment prior to your consultation which can be taken over the phone, or using Medipass, which allows for you to pay for your consult on your mobile phone via encrypted software. It’s really easy!
Can I claim Medicare for online physiotherapy consultations?
Yes, Medicare does provide rebates for online physiotherapy consultations with a specific referral from your GP known as a Chronic Disease Management Plan. Please speak to your doctor to find out if you are eligible to receive physiotherapy under this plan and to obtain the appropriate referral.
Can I use NDIS for online physiotherapy consultations?
Yes, you can use your NDIS funding for online physiotherapy consultations. We currently have the capacity to work with NDIA managed (Laura only), self-managed and plan managed NDIS clients.